Saturday, March 6, 2010

Work In Progress: The Helmet (Part 1)

I've been plugging away at this project for a long time. Building components, being unsatisfied with components, then rebuilding components.

But I wanted to blog the project, and I've been letting this side fall down. So here's a couple of progress shots on one of the key features of the armour, the helmet.






For a few months now, I have had a faceplate that I'm pretty satisfied with. It was sculpted with Super Sculpey, sanded, smoothed and was designed to work as a separate mould for a detachable faceplate.

For the moment, I'm using this as a core focal point and sculpting the remainder of the helmet around it in plaster of paris.

It's a time consuming process, but I'm being pretty meticulous about it. A thin layer of plaster, carefully pushed, prodded and smoothed over, then sanded to build up a contour. Then gradually building up contours until I get the whole thing looking right. You can see in some of the pictures that I get a bit impatient and just slap on a whole heap of plaster at times, then I have to sand back quite a bit to get the desired shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment